Frequently Asked Questions

For your consideration and preparation, please take a look at our frequently asked questions below.

Is an Edu Au Pair an employee?2017-03-23T08:36:15+08:00

No, an Edu Au Pair is not an employee of a company or the host family but rather a person on an exchange program with the emphasis on learning the cultural and language aspects by living and immersing themselves with a family. In many respects, the host family regards you as one of the family members. Instead of receiving a salary, you will receive pocket money per month. Much rather like having an elder sister or brother living together with a local Chinese family.

How the Mandarin classes will be arranged?2017-03-23T08:36:15+08:00

A timetable is arranged with the host family where time with the child/children and family is expected and spare-time for study is identified. Chinese classes are taken during your spare time. Typically this will be 2 times a week. Alternatively, a candidate can arrange to go to a school close to the family’s home. We are a Mandarin center as well. We have taught many diplomats from Finland, Malaysia, the Bahamas, etc. and many au pairs all over the world.

What kind of medical certificate is required?2016-04-16T07:54:25+08:00

A recent medical letter or report from your doctor or hospital in your home country that provides sufficient reasonable evidence that states you are both physically and mentally fit for the purpose of performing the duties as an au pair with children of a host family in China.

How to get a police clearance / certificate2017-03-23T08:36:15+08:00

In most cases, you must contact the local nearest police station or Public Security Bureau to apply and obtain a clearance certificate. You will have to:

  • Provide personal information and documents including as photos, fingerprints, or your addresses and dates of the most recent or current country that your reside
  • Pay and settle application fee to the police station or Public Security Bureau.

Please visit the following websites for related advice:

Do I need a visa to visit Mainland China?2016-04-16T07:53:54+08:00

General rule, foreign nationals need a visa to visit Mainland China. There are exceptions to the general rule when a visa-free entry can be granted. But these will not apply in such circumstances for a visiting foreign national. It is important to note that although officially part of China, Hong Kong and Macau will have visa-free entry for most foreign nationals.

The visa type you are going to apply is an ‘F’ visa which is for culture exchange. Currently, there are no specific visas for the classification of an au pair in China. An F visa is for all culture exchange purpose. However, each embassy may have their own interpretation on the type of visa that should be applied. For example, a recent Australian candidate received an X2 visa for short-term study.

How many children do the host families usually have?2014-08-03T12:13:55+08:00

Due to China’s one child policy, most of the host families only have one child. Only in special cases families might have 2 children.

Can guys apply for the program?2014-08-03T12:12:37+08:00

Yes, our Au Pair in China program is open for both male and female applicants between 18 and 29 years of age and we welcome girls and guys equally. Actually many Chinese families would like to have a male Au Pair as their children’s big brother.

How long does the placement process take?2014-08-03T12:11:37+08:00

Normally it takes about 3 months from the time you submit the full documents to your final placement. This is why we strongly suggest you to apply at least 3 months before your earliest possible arrival date.

In which cities of China can I be placed?2014-08-03T12:11:30+08:00

Au Pair Beijing is based in Beijing, and has the affiliated offices in Shanghai and Guangzhou. So far our Au Pair candidates have been placed in large cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or Xi’An.